Microsoft Windows Small Business Server was hugely popular with businesses of up to 75 people. The most recent version (SBS 2011) offers a combination of Windows Server 2008 R2 and Exchange Server 2010 in one box at very good price. It also includes SharePoint Foundation 2010 and SQL Server 2008 R2 Express and, with the additional purchase of a Premium Add-On pack, it can support applications that rely on SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard.
However, last July, Microsoft said Small Business Server 2011 would be the last SBS version and no longer be available for purchase. Support would also cease sometime in the future.
So, where does this leave businesses that previously would have used SBS as their low-cost, all-in-one server solution?
Microsoft would like you to purchase Windows Server 2012 Essentials, the product it has positioned as a replacement for SBS. Essentials is however quite a different animal altogether.
For one thing, it provides out-of-the-box support for just 25 users (and 50 devices.) If you have more than that, you must purchase the full-blown Windows Server 2012 Standard edition.
More importantly, one key attraction of SBS has been removed: Essentials doesn’t include Exchange at all. For that functionality, you’re expected to subscribe to Microsoft Office 365, use a hosted Exchange service or buy and run your own Exchange server on a separate physical box, all at an additional cost.
Our recommended Small Business Server Solution;
- Email – Small Businesses need to move to their email to Office365, or hosted Exchange, as a hosted solution it is an enterprise grade product supporting multiple device access (including Windows, Apple & Android apps for tablets and smartphones), syncing between devices, shared calendars & contacts, distribution groups, shared mailboxes, web based access, additional options include email archiving, compliance & retention polices – similar features to SBS
- Office 365 Licensing – Full Desktop versions of Outlook, Word, Excel & PowerPoint on a subscription basis able to be deployed on up to 5 PCs or MAC’s plus 5 tablets plus 5 Smartphones per user. Plus you get access to Lync (soon to be Skype for Business) which provides video conferencing, screen sharing, and instant messaging. Also included is SharePoint, a company intranet application, that enables file sharing and document management.
- Storage – Office 365 includes 1TB per user of OneDrive for Business cloud storage. For businesses requiring local storage for large data requirements and economical transfer, on premise Windows Server 2012 Essentials is the suggested solution.
- Backup – As a hosted service all Office 365 products are managed and backed up at the data centre. However most business will still require a backup solution for local workstations and locally stored files. OneDrive for business can be configured as the cloud repository however data transfer sizes may mean that Windows Server 2012 Essentials is a better option also backing up shared files and application stored locally.
- Applications – If you have locally based shared applications (such as MYOB) we can look at hosting on Windows Server 2012 Essentials or if you are looking for a cloud based alternative look to Microsoft Azure or similar services. Network Printing may also require a local server depending on your hardware and network.
- Support – As Microsoft partners we aim to be your single point of contact for all your IT. We administer and manage your of Office 365, plus we can manage your workstations, security, and on premises networks to keep your business systems performing.
We can help with your Small Business Server Solution
If you need guidance and support on the complex decision please give us a call. We can sit down with you and explain the difference options, discuss alternatives for you business and ultimately make a recommendation. We are able to transform you business, migrate your existing data, and provide you with the support you need to make the change.
If you require guidance give your local Computer Troubleshooters office a call today and one of our technology professionals will be happy to discuss how we can help.